Wambaw Church

Wambaw Church

Located on the old King’s Highway, the “Brick Church” at Wambaw was built in 1768 as the fifth church to serve the congregation of the St. James-Santee Parish. Many of the members were French Huguenots, who arrived in the area around 1680 escaping religious persecution. The settlers named their community Jamestown and had several subsequent churches. This particular church had many members that were wealthy rice planters, and the structure was built using imported English brick to reflect this status (with the exception of the columns, which were built with local brick). The floor and vaulted ceiling are original. A chapel of ease was eventually built in McClellanville in 1890, and the brick church faded into memory. The McClellanville church (St. James-Santee Episcopal) remains active today. Wambaw is located on a sandy dirty road past McClellanville and before you cross the Santee. The church has an annual service is on the Second Sunday of Easter followed by a covered dish picnic.

Old Georgetown Highway, McClellanville, SC
  • Wambaw Church