New Wappetaw Presbyterian Church was built in 1875, but its history goes back much further. The congregation began in this area after around 50 settlers came here from Ipswich, Massachusetts in the 1690s. They called their settlement Wappetaw (a Sewee Native American word meaning sweet water) and they built a church around 1700. The church was burned during the Revolutionary War, rebuilt and was in use until 1898. Since many people of the area flocked to McClellanville after the Civil War, New Wappetaw was built and remains in use today. There is only a marker and a cemetery for the Old Wappetaw church, and is located behind Seewee Restaurant.